Saturday, May 25, 2013

Progress

Made tremendous progress on the garden today.  I put in 5 ten-foot gutters, filled them with dirt and planted four of them with strawberries, some of which were transplanted from the old-and-tired strawberry bed.  I also planted one gutter of lettuce, both romaine and leaf.  The gutters have holes in the bottom every six inches for drainage and are tied to the chain link fence with wire tires.  Is there anything wire ties can't do?

I am almost done with the walkways.  I think I'm going to be a bag or two short on cedar chips though.


Finished the potato cages.  All three are planted, each with a different type of potato.  I was able to put in about six or seven seed potatoes in each.

Got the soaker hose run for the garlic patch.  Tomorrow I have major irrigation work to do.  The morning glory wall needs to be hooked up and I need to replace the sprinklers in the vegetable garden and herb garden.  I want to add in irrigation to the raspberries and blackberries.  Also, I'll need to find a way to add misters over the gutters and potato towers.

I have almost all of the green fence posts in now for the trellises.  Those will be finished up tomorrow as well, hopefully.

I planted zinnias in the experimental bed, mainly because I wanted some cut flowers and because Rachel will like them.  The gladiola bulb "nursery" is taking up six squares and I have at least two squares planted with the seeds from the marigolds last year.  There is something else in the bed, but damned if I can remember what it is.

We got the edging in on the front street-side flower bed.  The iris are about to bloom there.


And we made more progress on the front walk.  Almost all the sod and weeds have been removed (well, almost).  The bricks are gone.  Tomorrow I want to level it and buy the stone for it.  We've decided to go with large faux sandstone pieces and plant tbyme around them.  And, I'm lining the yard side of the walk with Hidcote Lavender.


Tomorrow, in addition to irrigation setup, I need to mow the area around the vegetable garden.  I would also like to add another bed for more cut flowers, but we'll see.

I'm tuckered out.

No comments:

Post a Comment