Thursday, July 25, 2013

Things I learned and Things I will Alter for Next Year.

1. Tomato plants take up a lot of space and need to have something like lettuce planted between them, not another tomato plant or vine.

2. We need a lot more peas.  I think I will construct a teepee or shelter out of bamboo and plant the peas in the containers around it.  Then Rachel can play in it.

3. Lettuce in gutters is the only way to plant lettuce.

4. Raspberries need some support and direction. Otherwise, they go everywhere.

5. Same with my blackberry plants.

6. Growing melons on a trellis really works!

7. Carrots are just hard to grow.  I got a few this year, but not many.  Next year, they go in a bed without tomatoes and such so they have lots of sun and room.  I CAN grow carrots.

8. We like cabbage more than I realized.  So, more cabbage plants...staggered a bit.

9. I need to start my own seeds if I want staggered crops.

10. I am going to put in a raised bed for the raspberries...and maybe the blackberries....along the fence.

11. I am going to put in one more bed at the south end of the garden. I suspect it will be for flowers.  I might make it "L" shaped.

12. The calla lilies in the butterfly garden need more space.


No comments:

Post a Comment